Sunday 8 September 2013

Chamonix: Days 1 - 3

After bidding farewell to Albert – who headed back to Nice early on Monday – I met up with Irwyn whom we had done some training with back in April – and discussed training plans, weather forecasts and dates for summit attempt. The weather was looking great for the first few days, but pretty shocking for the end part of the trip – when the summit is scheduled. Fingers crossed conditions improve.

Training and acclimatization was to start straight away – and we headed up to the Aguille de Midi lift station – a cable car up to 3,800m  – allowing anyone to access the amazing views of the mountains and being a great acclimatization aid. Once at altitude and after taking in the amazing views – we had a sandwich and then ran up and down as many stairs as we could find – being this high meant I got out of breath very quickly and even felt a bit dizzy – but the more I can do this the better prepared I will be for reaching the high summits.

We agreed that I’d take a rest day to give my legs a break post cycling and I wandered around town a bit to get my bearings before heading back to the apartment for a great curry cooked by Jenni, and met Dan and Shane – other paragliders who were hoping to fly off the top of Mt Blanc this summer. They’d be in the Alps for over a month and had already summited Mt Blanc.  Looking at the mountain forecast – weather looked perfect for a summit attempt and so Dan and Shane were planning an ascent. We decided we’d join them for the trip to the Cosmiques mountain hut – from which they would start their final ascent at 2am and we would try to fly from an ice shelf off near the Aiguille de Midi. So much for my rest day!

I was pretty terrified. My first experience with crampons would be walking down a knife edge arĂȘte with huge slopes either side. I was roped to Jenni and Graham and we took it nice and slowly – and I soon relaxed. It was about a 45 minute hike to the mountain hut and I enjoyed every moment.

A good hearty meal in the hut, a beautiful sunset, a terrible nights sleep – and we were up at 4:30am ready to go. The hike up to the take off point was along a similar route as we had taken the previous day, so navigation in the dark wasn’t too much trouble, and we found ourselves on the ice shelf above Chamonix just as the sun was rising. Incredible.

Now for the flight! When flying a tandem – my job is to be the engine – run with as much power as possible to pull the wing up into the air and give us enough speed to take off – before we plummet off the edge of the cliff.

First take off was a failure. Running at full pelt but in deep snow and we couldn’t get enough speed up, and so I heard ‘abort, abort’ shouted from behind me as we approached the cliff edge. Pretty terrifying so I hit the deck straight away.

Second time around - we nailed it. Full speed off the cliff – and before I knew it we were soaring up over Chamonix. Amazing feeling. I took controls for a little while and then we had a bit of fun pulling huge spins and descending as fast as possible – felt some serious G and a massive adrenalin rush.


We landed around 7:30am, with Jenni following us down, and I headed back to the apartment to meet Jam and have a celebratory beer. A great first couple of days in the mountains! 












No comments:

Post a Comment